[vpn-help] XP64 Virtual Adapter will not install

Jeff Haferman jeff.haferman at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 16:56:23 CST 2010

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 1:44 PM, Matthew Grooms <mgrooms at shrew.net> wrote:

> On 1/10/2010 12:03 PM, Jeff Haferman wrote:
>

>> 2.1-5 was the first that I installed; however I previoulsy had Cisco
>> Anyconnect (I believe version 2.2) and they upgraded to 2.4 recently, which
>> does not install either - interestingly the problem occurred when they try
>> to install their virtual adapter.
>>
>> It appears both Shrewsoft and Cisco VPN clients have been removed, but
>> there could be remnants lying around.
>>

> Hi Jeff,
>
> You can try to install an instance of the Shrew Soft Virtual Network
> adapter manually using the add/remove hardware wizard. When it asks for the
> driver, you can point it to the [install path]/drivers directory and then
> select the virtualnet.inf file. If this works, our installer application is
> likely the cause of your issue. Rebooting the machine may even provide a
> working vpn client. I'm not sure. Also, check for any unknown network
> adapter devices and remove them using the device manager before attempting
> the manual installation.
>
> For reference, I just did some quick tests on a fresh install using the
> Windows XP 64bit edition and it worked without any problem. I know that
> doesn't help your situation much, but it does suggest a problem related to
> something unique to your system.
>
> -Matthew

Thanks for the tips Matthew.  I had tried all of these things previously,
but just made another attempt and still no-go.  The only other network
adapters I have are a 1394 (firewire) network adapter and a standard gigabit
ethernet NIC.

I'll try disabling start-up items and services and see if I can get the
install to work.  Do you have any ideas on how I can determine why my system
won't allow me to install the virtual adapter?  I don't get any info in my
system event logs.

This is a fairly fresh XP64 build (about 1 month) and the system has been
very stable.  I have installed all Microsoft patches:  on the system you
tested, has it been fully patched?  From past experience sometimes the MS
updates break things.

Jeff