[vpn-help] XP64 Virtual Adapter will not install

Jeff Haferman jeff at haferman.com
Sat Jan 16 22:32:38 CST 2010

OK, this problem is FINALLY solved.  The fix is easy, though figuring it
out took quite a while.  Somewhere along the line, a registry key called
"RunOnce" got deleted (apparently some un-installs get overly aggresive
and delete this key and it wreaks havoc).  Here is the fix:

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

With CurrentVersion Highlighted, go to the Edit menu and select New »
Key

Name the key RunOnce, leaving everything else about the key alone.

The RunOnce key should now exist underneath the CurrentVersion key.
Once the key exists, Windows 2000/XP stops redetecting the Hardware