[vpn-help] negotiation timout occurred

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Tue Jul 20 13:21:25 CDT 2010

On 7/20/2010 11:40 AM, Ioan Benedek wrote:
>   Hello,
>
> I am having an issue with Shrew vpn-client-2.1.6-beta-6, on Windows
> Server 2008 R2 Standard 64 bit - I am connecting to this machine using
> Remote Desktop.
> I am using a Cisco .pcf file to connect to the remote server, I haven't
> made any other changes after the import.
> I am getting the message "negotiation timout occurred" when I'm trying
> to establish the VPN connection.
> Below is a full log from the main window:
>
> config loaded for site 'Maddenco.pcf'
> configuring client settings ...
> attached to key daemon ...
> peer configured
> iskamp proposal configured
> esp proposal configured
> client configured
> local id configured
> pre-shared key configured
> bringing up tunnel ...
> negotiation timout occurred
> tunnel disabled
> detached from key daemon ...
>
> The trace utility does not indicates any activity.
> The strange thing is that if I follow the same steps on my local machine
> (Win XP, SP3, 32 bit, same version of Shrew) I am able to connect
> without any issues.
> Initially I have used the Shrew 2.1.5 stable release, but the results
> were identical: same issue on Windows 2008, no errors on local computer.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Ioan,

Please try the latest 2.1.6 beta. You won't see any output in the VPN
Trace utility unless you increase the log output level. Please see this
wiki entry for more details ...

http://www.shrew.net/support/wiki/BugReportVpnWindows

If you still experience a problem, sent the debug log output to me directly.