[vpn-help] First tim caller...

kevin shrew-vpn klmlk at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 29 14:11:31 CDT 2010

On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 08:05:18 -0700
Jerrard Holland <jerrardholland at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Shrew 2.1.5
> Windows 7 32 bit
> Netgear fvs338
>
> I have been using this router for almost two years to allow three
> Windows Vista Ultimate users to run Microsoft Remote desktop to
> access their workstations.  I have been running the Neatgear client
> software.
>
> The folks want to upgrade to windows7.  So here we go.
>
> I downloaded the client software yesterday, and also followed the
> Netgear instructions on the Shrew site.  Something has not gone
> well.  I get to the point of "opening tunnel", then the tunnel closes.
>
> I posted my problems yesterday, and got a response instructing me to
> start the trace debugger and capture the log on session.  That is
> what I have attached here.

Hi Jerrard, the iked.log file shows that you're not even getting
through the Phase 1 the negotiations with the remote firewall.  Do you
have any log/console output from the Netgear?

In phase 1, the components that matter are things like endpoint
identification and pre-shared key.  I'd compare the settings between
your Shrew profile and the Netgear client to see if there's something
not quite the same.