[vpn-help] Problems with Shrewsoft Client after Standby

Müller, Gabriel Gabriel.Mueller at awk.ch
Tue Sep 7 03:01:31 CDT 2010

Hi

First of all thanks a lot for the great software.
We have a problem with the Shrewsoft client after resuming from standby (see below).
If you need the debug output of the trace utility and / or the client configuration, please let me know.

Best regards
Gabriel

Problem

Using the ShrewSoft client we can establish a VPN connection to our
company and access resources via the tunnel. If the laptop is put to
standby (without disconnecting / closing the ShrewSoft client) and
waken up again, the Shrewsoft client again prompts for the password.
The VPN re-connection seem to work when looking at the Shrewsoft
client but the remotely located resources cannot be accessed any
longer via the VPN tunnel.
It works again after restarting iked and ipsecd services. Currently
we use a script to kill the Shrewsoft access manager and restart
ipsecd and iked services after the laptop wakes up from standby.

Environment

Laptop:
- Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit)
- ShrewSoft 2.1.6-release
VPN Enpoint:
- SSG 140 with Screenos 6.3.0r1.0

To reproduce

- Starting laptop
- Establish 3G connection (or other internet connection)
- Using ShrewSoft access manager to connect to VPN
- Connection is established, remotely located resources can be reached via VPN tunnel
- Putting laptop into standby mode
- Wake up laptop
- Establish 3G connection (or other internet connection)
- Shrewsoft access manager now timeouts and prompts again for Username/PW
- Shrewsoft access manager establishes connection again successfully
- But now remotely located resources cannot be reached via VPN tunnel

Gabriel Müller, Consultant
Tel. +41 44 305 95 17, Mobile +41 78 722 72 58
gabriel.mueller at awk.ch

AWK Group AG, Leutschenbachstrasse 45
CH-8050 Zürich, www.awk.ch