[vpn-help] Windows 7 64bit VPN Client

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Mon Sep 13 17:23:49 CDT 2010

On 9/6/2010 10:25 PM, Robert Lee Craig wrote:
> I have two machines at home. One is a laptop running Windows 7 Home
> Premium (64bit) and the other is a desktop running Windows 7 Home
> Premium (32bit). Both machines have the exact same antivirus software,
> firewall rules, vpn client, etc. The desktop can connect to Netgear
> FVS318g no problem. When I try to do it with my laptop (exact same
> configuration file that was imported from the 32bit machine), it times
> out. I never get any error logs on the router side or anywhere in the
> laptop event logs. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Some things to try.

1) Connecting using a wireless card? Try testing the connection using
the Ethernet adapter.

2) Does your local Firewall/NAT device have any vpn pass-thru features
enabled? Try testing the connection with these disabled.

3) Does your Netgear have an option to limit the number of connections
for your phase1 or Xauth login? Are you using the same user/password to
test both connections? If so, try using separate logins.

4) Are there error messages in the VPN client log output when you try to
connect from the laptop? Check them using the vpn trace program. See
this link for more details ...

http://www.shrew.net/support/wiki/BugReportVpnWindows