[vpn-help] Individual tunnel on Cisco RV082?

kevin vpn klmlk at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 24 23:10:54 CDT 2010

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 16:17:09 +0100
Kevin Thorpe <kevin at pibenchmark.com> wrote:

> I've got group tunnelling working just fine following the HowTo on
> the website. Unfortunately I don't like the use of a single shared
> key as we hve regular staff hires and fires which would involve
> changing everyone's key. I tried to set up an individual tunnel
> following the same parameters with the exception of using a user FQDN
> instead of a domain FQDN. This doesn't connect. It just keeps
> retrying sending phase 1 packets until it times out.

Hi Kevin,

Which HowTo are you following?  There's two for Cisco and one for
Linksys, I'm not sure which applies best to the RV082.

When switching from the domain FQDN to the user FQDN, you have to make
the identity change both on the RV082 gateway and in the Shrew config
Authentication tab.  When you have those in sync, Phase 1 should
complete again.

Essentially what you'll have to do to solve the shared key problem is
create a separate Tunnel (not Group VPN) for every employee, defining
each with a Remote Client of type Email Addr and assigning a unique
email and pre-shared key to each Tunnel.