[vpn-help] Windows Client 2.1.7 and Netgear consumer home routers

Marc Schuette schmar at consolidatedsupply.com
Tue Apr 5 19:30:00 CDT 2011

Not sure if this is a bug or something in my VPN profile but I had two
different users work through this issue today and found that on their
Windows XP SP3 laptops they could connect with the 2.1.7 client to our
Cisco 3005 VPN concentrator but could not pass traffic across the tunnel
(I could not ping their IP address from an internal host). The Netgear
routers in question had the latest firmware installed:

Netgear WNR1000v2
Netgear WGR614v9

When I had the user switch back to the Cisco VPN Client 5.0.05.0290 and
both were able to connect AND pass traffic successfully.

Different ISP/carriers so I don't think that's the issue and different
laptops so it's not the particular machine.

One user went to a 2nd location and was able to use the Shrewsoft client
successfully (and the Cisco client too) over a Linksys router - don't
recall the exact model but it a pretty random one that T-Mobile OEM'd at
one time. So it really looks like there is some issue specific to the
Netgear equipment.

Is there an obvious Shrewsoft client profile setting I should try changing?