[vpn-help] Windows Client 2.1.7 and Netgear consumer home routers

kevin vpn kvpn at live.com
Wed Apr 13 21:48:28 CDT 2011

On Tue, 05 Apr 2011 17:30:00 -0700
Marc Schuette <schmar at consolidatedsupply.com> wrote:

> Not sure if this is a bug or something in my VPN profile but I had
> two different users work through this issue today and found that on
> their Windows XP SP3 laptops they could connect with the 2.1.7 client
> to our Cisco 3005 VPN concentrator but could not pass traffic across
> the tunnel (I could not ping their IP address from an internal host).
> The Netgear routers in question had the latest firmware installed:
>
> Netgear WNR1000v2
> Netgear WGR614v9
>
> When I had the user switch back to the Cisco VPN Client 5.0.05.0290
> and both were able to connect AND pass traffic successfully.
>
> Different ISP/carriers so I don't think that's the issue and
> different laptops so it's not the particular machine.
>
> One user went to a 2nd location and was able to use the Shrewsoft
> client successfully (and the Cisco client too) over a Linksys router
> - don't recall the exact model but it a pretty random one that
> T-Mobile OEM'd at one time. So it really looks like there is some
> issue specific to the Netgear equipment.
>
> Is there an obvious Shrewsoft client profile setting I should try
> changing?

Hi Marc,

I'm not sure what the problem might be.  Possibly the Netgear is
blocking a port that Shrew wants to use that the Cisco client does
not.  Can you generate a debug trace from the Shrew client from the
problem location by following these instructions?

http://www.shrew.net/support/wiki/BugReportVpnWindows