[vpn-help] Windows 7 client 2.1.7 and NetGear FVS328 router

David Durgee dhdurgee at yahoo.com
Mon May 16 19:46:55 CDT 2011

On Mon May 16 13:07:25 CDT 2011 Matthew Grooms wrote:

>It works in my lab with the settings in the wiki document. I believe
>some folks on the list have stated there is a problem when modecfg is
>not used. I have yet to verify this. You should definitely upgrade your
>router to the latest available firmware. The stock firmware on some
>devices just won't work.

They are using the latest firmware for the FVS328, which is V1.0.15 and
dated 12 July 2005.  So what you refer to is unavailable for this hardware.
I have no control over the hardware as it belongs to a client and they have
no plans to replace working hardware.

As I noted in my original message I am able to complete the initial phase with the 2.1.7
client but I am unable to open the tunnel.  The NetGear client works fine with this router,
so if that client were Windows 7 compatible I would not even bother to consider changing
clients.  But as it is NOT compatible and they insist on charging to upgrade it I am looking
for an alternative.  Your client appears to be my best hope.  Any help appreciated.

Dave