[vpn-help] Problem with tunnel from Shrewsoft Client to Juniper NS 5GT

Johan Schröder mail at johnny.eu
Sat Oct 15 06:39:02 CDT 2011

Hello there,

I've a problem with a VPN tunnel using the Shrewsoft VPN-Client (current
windows version) and a Juniper Netscreen 5GT (OS 5.4.0.r8) on a WIndows
7 system. I've configured the client and the gateway as described at
http://www.shrew.net/support/wiki/HowtoJuniperSsg.

The tunnel established without problems and my client gets an local IP
address from the right IP Pool on the netscreen. The problem is that no
machine in the VPN LAN could be reached, not even a ping. Only a ping to
my machine and to the gateway (Netscreen) IP address is successfully.

When I try ipconfig /all, I get these values

  IPv4 address  . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.240(Vorläufig)
  Subnetmaske   . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
  Default gateway . . . . . . . . . :

The IP net on the getway side is 192.168.0.0/24.

It seems to my that there could might be problem, because of the given
subnetmask (I think it should be /24 and not /32) and there is no
default gateway assigned.

Do you have any idea?

Regards,
Johnson