[vpn-help] Shrew 2.2.0 OS X build working on OSX 10.7 Lion?

Kevin VPN kvpn at live.com
Wed Oct 26 21:23:49 CDT 2011

On 10/26/2011 01:27 PM, Jaren Angerbauer wrote:
> I'm curious to know if by following the steps in:
>
> http://lists.shrew.net/pipermail/vpn-help/2010-November/003223.html
>
> Does this affect / mess up other VPN software on Mac OS X?  I use an
> OpenVPN client as well as the native VPN connections as well, and have
> opted to run the Windows cleint via VM.  But I'd much rather use the
> former, but don't want to take the chance of losing my other VPN
> functionality.  Any thought appreciated.

Hi Jaren,

I don't have much experience with Shrew on OS X, but I have found that
it can conflict with some other VPN software.  Shrew on OSX install
itself so that one of the ike processes loads at startup, and that
process binds to ports 500 and 4500.  This prevents other VPN software
(for example IP Securitas) from initiating a VPN connection.

If you kill the ike process (I can't remember if it's ikec or iked),
then other VPN clients should be able to work.  Afaik the client
software can co-exist without issue, just you can only run one at a time.