[vpn-help] Cannot connect to IKE VPN with Shrewsoft using Windows 7

Kevin VPN kvpn at live.com
Thu Sep 1 21:16:50 CDT 2011

On 08/13/2011 06:52 AM, Dragonnet Support wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am setting up a IKE VPN gateway to a Juniper SSX series firewall. The
> connection is now working however I carried out the initial work on my
> notebook. This failed to connect and at no point showed any record in
> the logs of the Juniper of attempting a connection. After much work
> debugging I tried a different machine and this connected correctly first
> time (using the same Internet gateway).
>
> The symptom is that shrewsoft appears to install correctly (I have tried
> this two or three times and rebooted each time) but times out on the
> initial phase 1 key sending. It would appear that something is
> preventing it from connecting. I have disabled both the windows firewall
> and the antivirus (AVG).
>
> The workstation is running Windows 7 Pro (32 bit) and I am using the
> 2.1.7 version of Shrewsoft. The other machine is in fact Windows 7 Home
> (32 bit) and worked correctly with the same shrewsoft version.
>
> Although my problem has been resolved (by using a different workstation)
> I am concerned that I may encounter problems when I deploy the solution
> to users.

Hi David,

If you're using Shrew 2.1.7 on laptops/notebooks with Windows 7, check
to see if they have a network device called the Microsoft Virtual WiFi
Miniport adapter.  This adapter causes a conflict that causes Shrew to
stop working after a reboot (ie works fine when first installed, but
never again after a reboot).

You have two options:

1. Disable the Virtual WiFi Miniport (most people never use it).
2. Upgrade Shrew to the 2.2.0 betas which contain a fix for this
problem, but are obviously beta software and may not be recommended for
production use.