[vpn-help] Priority for Adapter Specific DNS Servers ...

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Wed Feb 15 20:07:49 CST 2012

On 2/15/2012 7:31 PM, Matthew Grooms wrote:
> All,
>
> For the longest time I thought there was no way to manually influence
> the order in which windows prioritizes adapter specific DNS servers. I
> ran across this solution the other day and wanted to share it with the
> mailing list. Apparently, the DNS server priority is directly related to
> binding order of the associated adapter ...
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311218
>
> If you bump up the binding order of the adapter, the DNS servers that
> are associated with that adapter will be preferred over other adapters
> when performing name resolution. For example: By bumping up the Shrew
> Soft Virtual Adapter in the binding order, the DNS servers associated
> with that adapter will be preferred over other adapters set to a lower
> binding order ( when the VPN client is active ).

Crap. Now that I look at it closer, the Shrew Soft Virtual Adapter is
hidden so it can't be easily re-ordered. I did find this solution but
it's a command line tool ...

http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/nvspbind

As a quick howto, you run the tool in a cmd window as root. First you
find your adapter binding order for ms_tcpip ...

 >nvspbind.exe /o ms_tcpip

Hyper-V Network VSP Bind Application 6.1.7725.0.

Protocols:

{5D9F4D1D-F5B3-48BA-85AD-9B44176DD0C8}
"ms_tcpip"
"Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)":
    enabled:   Local Area Connection 4
    enabled:   Local Area Connection 3
    enabled:   Local Area Connection* 11
    enabled:   Local Area Connection* 12
    enabled:   Local Area Connection 2
    enabled:   Local Area Connection
    enabled:   VMware Network Adapter VMnet1
    enabled:   VMware Network Adapter VMnet8

cleaning up...finished (0)

... Local Area Connection* 12 is my Shrew Soft VPN Network Adapter. If I
want to move it up one position in the network binding, I can use the
following command line options ...

 >nvspbind.exe /+ "Local Area Connection* 12" ms_tcpip

Hyper-V Network VSP Bind Application 6.1.7725.0.

acquiring write lock...success

Protocols:

{5D9F4D1D-F5B3-48BA-85AD-9B44176DD0C8}
"ms_tcpip"
"Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)":
    enabled:   Local Area Connection 4
    enabled:   Local Area Connection 3
    enabled:   Local Area Connection* 11
    enabled:   Local Area Connection* 12
    enabled:   Local Area Connection 2
    enabled:   Local Area Connection
    enabled:   VMware Network Adapter VMnet1
    enabled:   VMware Network Adapter VMnet8

moving 'Local Area Connection* 12' above 'Local Area Connection* 11'

    enabled:   Local Area Connection 4
    enabled:   Local Area Connection 3
    enabled:   Local Area Connection* 12
    enabled:   Local Area Connection* 11
    enabled:   Local Area Connection 2
    enabled:   Local Area Connection
    enabled:   VMware Network Adapter VMnet1
    enabled:   VMware Network Adapter VMnet8

'Local Area Connection* 12' found

cleaning up...releasing write lock...success
finished (0)

... Problem solved :)