[vpn-help] Multiple VPN clients behind a Fios Actiontec router

Mark A. DeMichele demi at intellipro.com
Thu Jan 19 08:41:25 CST 2012

I currently have Comcast and I'm using multiple client machines to
connect to my office VPN.  When I first set this up, I had a LinkSys
router and I could never get more than one client to work.  At the time
I only needed one client so it wasn't a big deal.  Then later, I
purchased a Microsoft Wireless G router and without changing anything on
my clients, I would now get multiple client machines to connect to my
VPN at the office. The problem with this router as I later found out was
that it was limiting my bandwidth, so I decided to upgrade to a newer
router.  My first choice was a new Cisco (really Linksys) one.  That
worked fine with only one VPN client machine connected to my office
server.  However, as soon as I added another machine, it would
disconnect the first machine.  I tried tech support, but they were
pretty much clueless.  So I returned the router and randomally tried a
Belkin N600 HD and that one worked.  So clearly, there are issues like
this with certain routers.

The reason for the story is that I'm thinking of switching to Verizon
FIOS.  However, they supply their own Router.  In my area it seems to be
an ActionTec MI424WR.  I read reports that this router also has this
multiple clients issue.   There are different ways to configure fios so
you can use your own router (described here:
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.0_Networking#16077
<http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.0_Networking#16077> ).
However, with all the alternate configurations, you lose some sort of
feature with your TV, Voice, or DVR.

I really need to have multiple clients behind the router so I'm
wondering if anyone has any info or advice on this issue.

BTW,  the reason I want to switch from Comcast to FIOS is that I will
save about $50/month with the same services, I will get DVR that can be
viewed from any room and I that I can program remotely.  Plus, with the
package I chose, I can get 35mbs upload compared to the 6mbs upload I
get from Comcast, and since I work from home, I'm constantly uploading
to my work servers so that boost in upload speed is reason enough to
swtich.

Thanks,

Mark