[vpn-help] Outlook interrupted

Kevin VPN kvpn at live.com
Thu Jan 26 22:02:50 CST 2012

On 01/26/2012 01:45 PM, Jernej Simončič wrote:
> On Thursday, January 26, 2012, 15:58:15, Greene, Teri wrote:
>
>> When connected to a client site through Shrew VPN (2.1.7), my
>> Outlook (MS Office 2010) drops connection and cannot re-establish. I
>> also have trouble connecting to the Internet (IE 8). Are you aware
>> of this issue, and is there anything that can be done about it? I
>> basically have no email when connected to this client. Others within
>> our organization have the same issue.
>
> The VPN tunnel probably overrides your default route, and thus
> prevents you from accessing the LAN. One client has his VPN set up
> this way, I just delete the route after establishing the connection,
> and add a route to just the segment I need.

Hi Jernej,

I'm disappointed that deleting the route actually works.  I just tried
it.  I would have thought (hoped!) that Shrew might watch for things
messing with the routes and reset them if they change.

I'd think that would be a potential way for trojan to get into an
organization - wait for a tunnel to come up, enumerate the remote
network, add a non-tunneled route to it's C&C server and call home for
instructions.  Sort of defeats one of the purposes of a full-tunnel VPN. :(

Does anyone know if this route hack can be done with other VPN clients
like Cisco or Juniper?