[vpn-help] Can't connect from Windows 7 machine

Kevin VPN kvpn at live.com
Sat Jul 21 22:44:40 CDT 2012

On 07/21/2012 12:11 AM, Allen Klein wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A client of mine can't connect. I connect to their Juniper SSG-5
> without any problems. I created an Xauth user on the firewall. Again,
> no problem on my Windows 7 machine with the same user credentials,
> same profile. Here's the error message he got:
>
> local id configured pre-shared key configured bringing up tunnel ...
> user authentication error tunnel disabled detached from key daemon .
>
> It doesn't matter whether his firewall (both public and private) are
> off or on --same error. Any suggestions? He's able to connect with
> his Macbook Pro using the VPN Tracker VPN client, through his same
> home router (same VPN user account).

Hi Allen,

Are you sure the profile is exactly the same?  Since your client can
connect using different software (so their IP and the credentials are
valid) and you can connect using the same software (so Shrew works), I
think the problem will be a setting difference between the Shrew profiles.

I would compare the values in the Authentication and Policy tabs in the
Shrew Site Configuration between your client's machine and your machine.
  Re-enter the Pre Shared Key on the client machine just to be sure it
is correct.

If your client is using Win7 on a laptop there is a conflict between the
Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport adapter.  Either disable the Virtual
WiFi adapter (and re-install Shrew) or upgrade Shrew to the 2.2.0 beta
version.