[vpn-help] Problem with static vs automatically assigned IP for virtual adapter

Benedikt Bauer mastacheata at gulli.com
Tue May 15 20:14:21 CDT 2012

Hi Kevin and everyone else watching this,

I'll try to answer the simple questions first and will grab a copy of configuration file and logs tomorrow morning. (it's 3am here)

The error message appears inside the vpn trace utility on the client.
As far as xauth goes, I know that we have no individual user authentication via xauth. Pushing IP configuration via xauth is a feature I've not heard of yet, but I'll investigate that part if that's possible independent of authentication via xauth.
--
Gruß,
Benedikt Bauer

Kevin VPN <kvpn at live.com> schrieb:

On 05/14/2012 08:25 PM, Benedikt Bauer wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I've got a strange problem/situation I don't understand.
> IKE Phase 1 is established successfully, but my Phase 2 is rejected
> because no matching inbound policy can be found.
> The connection general tab is set to use a virtual adapter and when the
> adapter should automatically assign an IP address the VPN Client doesn't
> seem to set the correct security policies itself.
>
> Remote LAN is 192.168.0.0/24, local LAN is 192.168.99.0/27
> The VPN Client always trys to assign 192.168.99.16 to the virtual adapter.
>
> If I assign anything but 192.168.99.16/32 to the virtual adapter IKE
> Phase 2 fails.
>
> I've got another 2 computers with The Greenbow VPN Client that work fine
> and both of them have not assigned any static IP address to their
> virtual adapter. (VPN Client Address: 0.0.0.0)
> Can anyone explain to me why that doesn't work with automatically
> assigned IPs instead of static IP?

Hi Benedikt,

I would guess that you've somehow got the Shrew configuration setup
incorrectly, but that is just a guess. The fail message about "no
matching inbound policy can be found" - is that shown on the Shrew
client or the VPN gateway logs?

Do you use XAUTH on the gateway to push the IP configuration to the
client - if so, have you configured Shrew to expect XAuth (under
Authentication tab -> Authentication Method)?

Are you able to send us a copy of your Connection configuration as well
as a log file so we can help sort this out? Instructions for generating
the log file are here:
http://www.shrew.net/support/wiki/BugReportVpnWindows