[vpn-help] (no subject)

Kevin VPN kvpn at live.com
Wed Jan 30 20:11:30 CST 2013

On 01/29/2013 01:10 PM, Jim Markey wrote:
> I am using a netgear FVS318G VPN firewall/router. I configure
> multiple computers with Shrew soft client. First user connects and
> establishes tunnel. Second user connects, establishes tunnel and
> kicks the first user off. Third user connects and kicks second user
> off...... I have configured individual IKE and VPN policies for each
> individual based on the IP address assigned to the virtual adapter.
> FVS318G supports 5 simultaneous connections but I can only get 1. I
> also configured 1 client with Netgear VPN client..it attached and
> when I connected with Shrew client both stayed attached. I then
> connected second Shrew client, and first Shrew client got bounced
> again, while the Netgear client stayed connected. Any Ideas ?

Hi Jim,

Are your Shrew clients perhaps getting bounced because they're all
configured to use the same Local Identity (which I think is used in the
inital contact/Phase 1 negotiations) when connecting to the Netgear?

If you're using XAUTH to identify the users for purposes of assigning
the different IP addresses to the virtual adapters, that happens kind of
in between Phase 1 and Phase 2, so by then the Netgear may have already
decided that it's dealing with a re-connection (because the Local
Identity info is the same) rather than a new connection.

Just a guess.