[vpn-help] XP-After installing the client I can connect. But after I reboot, connections time out.

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Sat Jun 8 15:41:42 CDT 2013

On 6/7/2013 9:55 AM, yes123 yes123 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Software-Firewall and Antivirus installed.
> For testing I deactivate the firewall and there is the same problem.
> I think there must be another reason, because the first time I install
> the VPN Client and then immediately I test the connection and it works !!
> Later, after reboot there is NO connection possible.
> I can reproduce this every time, because i make a new installation and
> before i install the VPN Client, i make a harddisk-image!
> I restore the image, then i install the VPN Client, then i import the
> connection settings from an other XP-PC-Workstation and then i make a
> connection, the connection is OK. I test this 2 or 3 times. And after
> reboot the connection is NOT possible.
> What is about the log files, i sent? What say the logfiles?

Hi Alex,

Do you have another VPN client installed on the computer? They have a
tendency to re-order the priority of the layered filter drivers and have
a tenancy to swallow return packets that are intended for another VPN
client. The Shrew Soft VPN client tries very hard to not step on the
toes of other clients. We only process return packets that we know are
intended for us ( based on src/dst IP and ports and ISAKMP cookie info )
and pass everything else back up the network stack. Other VPN clients
have a tendency to blindly eat inbound IKE packets :(