[vpn-help] Shrewsoft with Cisco IOS dead connections

Jon Seppanen ashtefere at live.com
Fri May 24 00:03:43 CDT 2013

I have tried looking around on the net and searching in various was for help with this. It is getting rather troublesome and hope to get some help.
Whenever I connect to one of our remote sites with Shrewsoft VPN after importing our Cisco profiles, they used to connect perfectly.
Recently, and more and more often, we have had some major issues though.
1: The client will show as "connected" and "tunnel enabled", however there is ZERO TRAFFIC. No ping, nothing.
2: Setting a static IP in the connection settings helps somewhat, but then ONLY the last user account from the last machine that connected EVER gets traffic. Everyone else has the above problem.
3: Even when the working client is fully disconnected and logged off, there is no traffic, even though it displays as "tunnel enabled".

No changes in our config have occurred, it just stopped working.
Now only one machine with one user account can connect, and it occasionally stops working there as well.
When this occurs, setting a new static IP address fixes it.

We are now running out of IP addresses to re-assign to the profile, and once that occurs our remote sites will be completely inaccessible. They are hundreds of kilometres away and fielded by non-technical staff who cannot be relied upon to reboot the routers (which seems to fix the issue).
The routers are top of the line cisco 8xx series, and all the sites have the same router.
Please, we are in desparate need of help.