[vpn-help] OSX Mountain Lion

Damian ONeill damian.oneill at gmail.com
Tue May 28 09:27:04 CDT 2013

Hi can someone provide instructions for uninstalling Shrew on OSX.  Since installing this software (or its dependencies, QT or TunTap) my OSX internal IPSec VPN software no longer works.

I followed the procedures below to install the software.

There are two pre-requisites before running the native install package ...

1) Install the LGPL Qt Framework for Mac OSX ...

http://get.qt.nokia.com/qt/source/qt-mac-opensource-4.7.1.dmg

2) Install the current release of the TUN/TAP driver for Mac OSX ...

http://tuntaposx.sourceforge.net/download.xhtml

You can then proceed to install the Shrew Soft VPN client ...
www.shrew.net/download/vpn/vpn-client-install.dmg

I have since removed tun tap with the following instructions.

I want to remove the software from my computer. How do I do that?

Unfortunately, Apple's installer packages do not provide a way to remove software. Therefore, you will need to delete the files manually. Just remove the following directories (you need to do this with Administrator privileges):

	• /Library/Extensions/tap.kext
	• /Library/Extensions/tun.kext
	• /Library/StartupItems/tap
	• /Library/StartupItems/tun