[vpn-help] Possible driver latency issue in Shrewsoft on Windows?

mctozzy at gmail.com mctozzy at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 19:15:38 CDT 2014

Hi there,

I use the vpn client 2.2.2 on Win7 x64.  Recently I have been checking
out my new PC for performance behavior relating to smooth audio/video
streaming behavior, using a tool called DPC Latency checker. I noticed
that as soon as I made a VPN connection I started getting regular
latency spikes of between 1 and 2 milliseconds. Being a quite fast i7
processor, this is quite a long time, and takes it to the 'borderline'
of potentially disrupting smooth streaming.

Whilst it is possible that this is associated with latency in the NIC
driver, it could also be in the shrewsoft client, and I wondered if any
part of the shrewsoft stack constitutes a device driver with an
interrupt handler in it, that is responding to interrupts and putting
stuff into the DPC queue for handling?

Cheers,
MT