[vpn-help] ShrewSoft IKE and IPSEC Daemon services no longer start

Fester, Keith Keith.Fester at biia.wa.gov
Thu Sep 18 19:24:49 CDT 2014

Hello,

I've installed ShrewSoft VPN 2.2.2 on a fully patched Windows 8.1 tablet (Dell Venue Pro 11).

The tablet utilizes the ShrewSoft VPN client to connect over a Verizon 4G LTE connection on an embedded Dell Wireless Gobi 5808e cellular data card.

Twice now in two days, when attempting to establish a VPN connection, I receive Failed to attach to key daemon.  After some research, I found that this indicates that necessary services for the ShrewSoft VPN client are not running.

As expected, I find that the ShrewSoft IKE Daemon and ShrewSoft IPSEC Daemon services are both stopped.  Unfortunately, all attempts to start them result in error.  I start an Administrator-elevated command prompt and attempt to perform a net start "ShrewSoft IKE Daemon" and net start "ShrewSoft IPSEC Daemon."  Both commands result in "The service is not responding to the control function."  If I attempt to start the services via the Services MMC Snap-In, I receive "Windows could not start the ShrewSoft IKE Daemon Service on Local Computer."  "Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."

I have a total of two of these tablets, so I installed the ShrewSoft VPN 2.2.2 client on the second tablet.  Unfortunately, it also developed the same issue, although I think it took two days of light use for the issue to appear.

One thing that might be important is that it seems that the network adapter number of the Dell Wireless Gobi 5808e card changes periodically.  It was Mobile Broadband #3 yesterday, and now Windows is calling it Mobile Broadband 16.  I'm not sure why this number is changing.  All that is happening to the tablet is a shutdown and boot up.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Thanks for any help  you can provide.
Keith Fester