[vpn-help] IKE daemon / service crashes on suspend/resume

Richard Fortier rfortier at ourchateau.net
Mon Feb 2 09:35:03 CST 2015

Hi, I've been testing your product for a while and generally I'm very happy
with it. Just bought a license (rwf at ourchateau.net is an alias for
registrations).

I do have a bug I'd like to see fixed:

Problem:

The IKE service crashes / hangs when the laptop is suspended and resumed,
sometimes. Generally if suspended for a significant period of time ( > 10m,
say, I don't know exactly).

I have it configured to automatically reconnect if the connection breaks,
specifically because I close my laptop and walk around all the time for my
job. If I open it again after walking to the meeting it seems to be fine.
If suspended longer (probably some timeout) IKE service stops, but it
doesn't report stopped status to windows.

Symptom is that you reconnect, that works fine, but the connection shortly
times out.

Attempting to restart the IKE service doesn't immediately work. Stopping
the service times out. After some period of time Windows will finally kill
the service, after which it can be started again and everything is fine.
Until the next time.

To reproduce:

Configured Windows to support suspend / resume, most laptops do.

Establish VPN connection and test.

Suspend computer for 10+ minutes (I'll try to figure out the time
threshold).

When resumed, connection reestablishes (our VPN sends a banner that pops up
with successful), but IKE is dead.

Try to stop IKE service, it times out.

Try to start IKE service, it fails with error. After several attempts
(about 30 seconds), the start will succeed.

VPN Client Version = 2.2.2

Windows OS Version = Windows 8.1