[vpn-help] VPN Client 2.1.7 + VMWare VM + WIN7(64Bit) = Negotiation Timeout

Roe, John roej at hr.msu.edu
Wed Feb 4 14:36:05 CST 2015

I'm having difficulty getting the VPN client to work in our virtual environment. This configuration works without an issue in our physical environment.
This is a VMware Virtual Machine with Windows 7 64 bit OS.

VPN Client 2.1.7 (tried 2.2.2 as well with the same result)
Connect log is as follows

Configuring Client Settings...
attached to key daemon...
peer configured
iskamp proposal configured
esp proposal configured
client configured
local id configured
pre-shared key configured
bringing up tunnel ...
negotiation timeout occurred
tunnel disabled
detached from key daemon...

There were a few similar threads that either didn't show the resolution or the resolution didn't work for me. Two of the resolutions that didn't work that I tried were.

1.            Turned off Shrew Soft Lightweight Filter in the Local Area Connection properties
2              Disabled ShreSoft DNS Proxy Daemon Services in Windows Services Manager

We did find that another VPN client (NCP) does work on the same VM so we know that network wise traffic seems to be flowing appropriately.

Attached is a wireshark capture that myself and our central IT used to try to narrow down the issue. Any assistance will be appreciated.

John Roe
Systems Development & Support
MSU Human Resource
517-884-0218